Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Back Home

I'm back home now and glad to see the entire family in one piece. The plants and the dog didn't die either. My laundry and kitchen were in complete disarray, but what the hell, that's what Fridays are for. I'm back to being Cinderella.

Barcelona was great, the people were nice, the nuns were very hospitable, walking me to the airport bus and making sure I took food with me - the only complaint I had about the city was that there was way too much purse snatching. I think it's out of control. We have other problems here, but there is very little of that in our country, thankfully. And the whipped cream is tastier in Israel, and I did pick up a little Spanish, like "no carne" and "este" and "quanto". A few more weeks, and I may have put full sentences together. Ibrahim gave me a stack of business cards to take home for him. My kids looked at the maps of the city I brought back and laughed at the place called Zona University, because "zona" in Hebrew is "whore". Yes, Europe is special. A special university for whores.

I bought t-shirts for the kids with "Barcelona" written on them - different styles of course. And it was first come, first serve. Of course some wanted what the other one chose, but had I gotten them all the same stuff, they would have been embarrassed.

Tonight in Jerusalem is the end of the Film Festival and street fairs although not as packed as The Ramblas in Barcelona. If I were jealous of anything in Barcelona that they had that we don't have - it's tourists. They had thousands of tourists. Because of the negative media portrayal, showing Israel/Palestine under fire in every square foot/meter in this country, no one comes to visit anymore, outside of a few religious pilgrims. And that saddens me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well there will be a batch of at least a thousand of us coming together to visit yr homeland in june'05. so it should make up for the missing 1st half of the year ;) Oh n we LOVE to shop. so itll help boost yr economy :)
Cant Wait to visit yr beautiful homeland ....

Anonymous said...

my church (http://www.chc.org.sg/version3/main.htm) &
a swedish pastor, Pst Ulf Ekman (http://www.ulfekman.org/default.asp?n_subsite=1) who has migrated to Jerusalem are planning a tour next year for Businessmen. To introduce them to yr land n setting up businesses here...so in no time i believe once economy prospers...tourists will start rushing in...

Religious pilgrims Is a great start & Blessing afterall :)

siren said...

fair enough...my parents have threatned to murder me if I go to isreal which I have wanted to for a while. But i think its more the fear of not knowing where to go or what to do...where do I find tourist information? are indians allowed? so many questions...but visiting your holy land has been a dream for a long time...

kizz said...

Hi, I'm Jordi, and pleased on your comments from my city. Unfortunatedly we can meet, but is a pleasure for me that you enjoy Barcelona, and of course Girona and Figueres :)
See you!

Alan said...

Funny you should mention the "zona" = "whore" thing. I went on a Birthright trip a couple years back with a group from the University of Arizona. Naturally, we just call the school "'Zona" for short. We found out quickly why some of the locals at the airport were laughing at us. Good times.