Thursday, February 03, 2011

When the shit hits the fan

"They're going to throw us out of the staff lunches." laughed my friend at work.   We were discussing my upcoming colonoscopy - the first for me - and the people around the table were trying to figure out why I won't be eating the following day.  And why were we interrupting the serious conversation about the chaos in Egypt.

"Ahhh, it's Rosh Chodesh (new Jewish month)" said one wise man.

"Of course not.  And it's not Ramadan either" I retorted.  "More like Rama-bum"

My evil friend and I couldn't stop laughing.

I took off today because I didn't know what shape I'll be to cook the Shabbat meal.  I did my shopping in the morning, borrowing my daughter's car and thinking - wow!  This is what it must be like to be retired.  You don't go in the evening when you're exhausted.  You go to the supermarkets first thing in the morning, when no crowds are present.  Even at the tender age of 55, I can now join the Golden Age club in my city and be the youngest of all the Alta Kakas there.  You can go on trips and swim for next to nothing.  Sounds good to me, although there are hardly any English speakers in the Club - mostly Russians and Spanish-speakers.

I made a three course dinner for my kids, cleaned the fridge and bathrooms.  It was a productive day.  And I'm tough.  Really tough - probably tougher than the laxatives I had to take in the early evening.  So far - nada.  It's been 2 1/2 hours.  Will "it" keep me up at night?  Probably.  I was nervous about the procedure but I hear it's less harrowing than going to the dentist.  I'll keep that in mind tomorrow.

No comments: