Monday, April 25, 2011

Passover

Passover was very laid back this year. I didn't have many people at the seder and no Catholic priests like I had last year.  Hubby actually graced us with his presence this year unlike the year before!   It took only one glass of wine for me to feel the effects and I began laughing hysterically at everything anyone said.
 
Wednesday, I took my grandson to the circus and thought that he enjoyed the gymboree trampolines, slides and ball pool better than the acrobats at the Medrano circus - the first politically correct  circus I had ever been at - not a single animal performed.  Just a bunch of heavily made up short Spanish acrobats.  Even my grandson was disappointed at not seeing any elephants.  But I spoiled him with expensive treats and chocolate milk and a toy gun that shoots out bubbles throughout the day.  What are grannies for after all?

I had invited a mixed married couple - she was Jewish, her husband an Arab Muslim - for dinner Friday night.  They were friends of one of my daughters.  But they never showed up.  Yesterday, during the final dinner of Passover, one of my other daughters said she knows why they didn't come.  Because the daughter who is friends with them was afraid they wouldn't like my food. 

My kids gasped at the thought.

"But you make great food"

You see,  the daughter who first invited them is absolutely embarrased by my European ashkenazi food like gefilta fish, which I only make during major holidays.  But I caught her eating quite a few of the sweet fish and I threatened to photograph her eating it and putting the photos on Facebook.  She was terrified at the thought.  Her reputation would be ruined. Kaput.

"They eat Moroccan food and they were afraid there wouldn't be any of that.  Not all of them are open to eating different foods."

"But mom makes regular food."

I glared at the one who said that.  Regular food?  Not on your life.  I comb through the internet and make rice flavored with saffron (not a favorite with the kids) and  an assortment of sweet and spicy dishes.  I made matza balls from scratch tonight from sweet potatoes.  How dare she say "regular"!

The main dish was about to be served.  A roast with dried apricots, red wine and yams, which everyone loved and  a cauliflower leek kugel.  I passed around the kugel and no one touched it. 

I get it.  I need to give it a more middle eastern identity. Something they would not be ashamed of eating.

"How about trying the cauliflower leek PASHTIDA (a Sephardic quiche)?" I asked.  The forks went flying into the dish until it was completely gone.

No comments: