Saturday, August 02, 2008

A gem of a restaurant in Jerusalem

I thought I knew about every restaurant in Jerusalem. But I don't.

A friend had been at me for months to go with her to a "cheap" brunch at "a cafeteria at the Hebrew University." I'm into decent dining, and wasn't interested in going to what I thought was just a self-service student cafeteria. But she called me again on Thursday night and my Friday morning was mysteriously free. I agreed to go.

How surprised I was when I entered the Hebrew University's Lerner Sports Complex's beautiful modern building on Mt. Scopus to see a beautiful little cafe (not a cafeteria) there with lovely outdoor seating. It's called the Chef Cafe. The food was delicious and inexpensive. The most expensive item on the menu was 30 NIS ($10 USD). There was a good assortment of breakfasts, sandwiches, gigantic salads and pastas - all dairy.
Coffee is 5 NIS.



It is Arab-owned and open on Saturdays. The people there were a mix of Arabs and Jews - all ages. What a lovely place to unwind.

2 comments:

anne said...

Looks beautiful! Am so jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! That! Never been there, but the hotel I worked at used to give the guests free tickets to their pool. I was told there is a restaurant there.