Saturday, February 16, 2008

Vegan Cats

Someone I vaguely know was in desperate need of a babysitter for her two cats while she would be away for over 2 months. My son and I are great cat lovers and I emailed her to say I'd take them.

She came a few Saturdays ago to see my place, with her Palestinian friend/cab driver who didn't want to come up to my apartment at first but when I insisted, he did. I wanted to impress him and offered him Arabic coffee, but my coffee failed to impress, and in fact was weaker than I usually make it. A big no no here.

"You have to add sugar first." He told me. Man, you really have to teach these Israelis everything. He told me where to get "real" Arabic coffee and when I run out of this package, I will.

But getting back to the cats, their owners are Vegans. The two cats have been in my house since Thursday night, are petrified of their new surroundings and hardly venture out of their soft cage where they prefer to sleep. I don't know what's wrong with them. I don't my son, they're retarded cats. I actually put chicken fresh from my chicken soup onto a plate and put it up to their noses. They sniffed and didn't budge. I mean what normal cat doesn't lunge for delicious, fresh chicken???? I think they might be vegans too and are probably horrified that I eat chickens and beef. They haven't touched their cat food either and I think they're on a hunger strike.

But they sure know what ticks me off. Saturday morning around 4:00 am, I hear them howling away. It's my one day off, for Fuck's Sake and they're howling and howling. I walked out of my room to see what was wrong about 5 times between the hours of 4:00 and 6:00 am. I think one cat was looking for her friend who wasn't with her. Then when the two found each other, they both howled. They probably miss their owners, but HELL, I hope they get used to me soon. I won't enjoy this 4:00 am wake-up call each morning, if they don't.

No comments: