Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shower

"I'm a Sex Man, mutha fucka....I'm a Sex Man....yo mutha fucka..." or so went the CD we were listening to in the car.  My office's errand guy had to take me back to my office from seeing my boss and he was driving one of the VP's cars.  The VP is British, looks quite straight-laced, is an academic, and so we were thrown for a loop when we turned on the CD player and found said song/CD playing.   In fact, we were laughing hysterically all the way back to the office, because all the songs on the CD were like that.   I have no idea who these rappers are, but apparently, Mr. Academic certainly knows more about this stuff than I do.  Good for the Brits.

And yesterday I went to my friend's daughter's bridal shower.  I thought, eh.  It'll be nice, but I won't know anyone other than the bride's mother.  I thought it would be somewhat organized, especially when I had to print out the recipe for the dish I brought, because a cook book will be made for the future bride, but I had no idea how much so.  I walked in an hour late, figuring everyone would be just milling around.  But when I walked in the door, everyone was quiet and reading children's books.  What's up with that???  Turns out we all had to read a children's story and then pick a word or a phrase from that book and give a blessing to the bride.  I read a story about two cats and picked out the paragraph where they purred to each other and said "don't be afraid, we can fly anywhere!"  So I gave the bride the blessing of being able to afford to fly anywhere, as well as purring to each other.  Afterwards the hostess said we were going to design bridal dresses out of toilet paper.  Now that's a challenge, isn't it?  I bet the famous designer Stella McCartney never thought of that.  So we grouped into 6 and I draped toilet paper over my friend so that it trailed in the back and put toilet paper rolls by her shoulders to make princess sleeves.  OK, she didn't look like Rapunzel or Snow White, but the younger kids did much better.  There were flowers on the side of their dresses (how did they manage that?) and tiered veils. 

So never judge a person by how straight he seems or never judge a bridal shower invite thinking it's just another ho-hum thing.....

No comments: