Monday, September 06, 2004

Eliza Doolittle

That's exactly what I felt like today at work. The person I work for is a professor of philosophy of education. I never could understand philosophy, philosophers and haven't a clue to this day what philosophy of education is about - really. It all seems to be like a waste of time and energy. To just sit there and think - and ponder. Like the skeptics society here in Jerusalem. What the fuck do you need a skeptics society here? Skeptical about peace? Skeptical about the government? Surely there's not a shortage of things to be skeptical about. You need a society for that? Sheesh! Getting back to work. The professor is an older man, from a different world than I'm from. The world of academia, a world of egos, thinkers, etc. We have to call him Professor. When I first came to work at the place, I thought Hell, I'm not calling anyone by a title. That's sick. But I tolerated it with him because he's alot older and needs and wants the honor. At least from the "lower echelon" who must address him as Professor. It took me a year to get used to Titles, Dr. this and Dr. that, Prof. this and Prof. that. The place is like an Israeli version of Ivy League, hushed elegance and order and decorum. So different from usual spaced-out and disarrayed Israeli life. So today I sat with him and someone else during a meeting, which also included lunch. I went for the tuna and salad and humous and rice cakes. Laughed when he asked the receptionist for placemats. Placemats? If we eat on individual plates in my house, I call that civilized. I took my food and began eating. Until I noticed the other person sitting there politely with food on his plate, waiting until the Professor sat down and began his meal. OOOPS! When was the last time I waited in politeness for anyone to start eating? I haven't a clue. Not in my eat-and-run world. I was slightly embarrassed. The Professor is certainly shrewd enough to notice. That's when I felt like Eliza D. - fresh from the flower market - learning her manners and genteel speech, from scratch.

4 comments:

timx said...

But his world is more limiting than yours!

Anonymous said...

Tis a fact, that many in our generation have forgotten manners...we often are kind of caught in such things too. We never want to offend, but our crazy lifestyles have led us to forget the more civil way of doing things perhaps. Manners are also a way to show love as well as respect. Never hurts to respect our elders, simply because they have lived a lot longer than have we. We are not so far from being in their place either. It comes so quickly!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

With all due respect,I shall have the Professor served in my plate....

Anonymous said...

Now matter how gracious and prestigious, it is difficult to accept the glamorized virtue of inertia.