Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sad Relief

Our interfaith group got together last night to say farewell to the person from Sweden who had been hosting our monthly group meetings at the Swedish Theological Institute. She was leaving her post because the Lutheran Church sent a new pastor/deacon over for another term. This was an incoming/outgoing party of sorts at a landmark restaurant in town. We met the incoming pastor and his wife who seemed just as warm as the former. As I was giving everyone verbal invitations to come visit my home for the Succot holiday where they will eat/nosh in our succah (photos soon to be blogged to show you all what a sukkah is), Nadia, a Palestinian from East Jerusalem was telling me how "tough" people were in my neighborhood. She has a friend living near me and when she visits with the kids, she gets stared at like "What the fuck are you doing in our nice, Jewish neighborhood, lady?" She mentioned an episode recently involving one of her kids. She asked her son to give this Jewish friend of hers a hello kiss. "I don't kiss Jewish women" her son retorted. Nadia told me her child's comment stabbed her like a sharp knife. "Where do they get it from?"she asked me. "It's not from me or from my family" she told me. I told her - honey. You don't have to explain and related the story of my kids, and their prejudices. This is the war we have to fight. The war against what the kids here pick up from their friends, from the neighborhood, from the schools, etc. I felt a sad relief knowing that it's not only my kids who make me feel like I'm draining the ocean with a strainer with all the peace work I'm doing. But as we got up to leave, speaking a mixture of Hebrew, English and Arabic,I glanced around at the other diners, who were looking at our group, wondering who the hell we are. If only our mixed group were more of a common sight.

4 comments:

sherijberi said...

Mazal Tov: You are paving the way for "sites" like your mixed group becoming the norm. It is not only in Eretz Yisrael but even in the states. Keep up the good work - even if it is not a conscious effort to be integrated. You go girl!

timx said...

It will become an increasingly common site as time goes on - think of the other minority groups in the world that used to get stared at but are now accepted. All it takes is time and perseverence and you have more than the average entitlement of perseverence!

lisoosh said...

In the states the younger generations are actually more accepting of other groups than their parents and the numbers of intermarriages are increasing rapidly. It's a loss for diversity (we'll all end up the same) but a boon for peace and quiet.

Anonymous said...

Don't know where else to write you, but just to tell you that hubby may apply for a job that is in Jerusalem, still with his current job. He does not have quite all the skills they ask for so likely won't be offered it, but I think he will apply anyway. Also, it is the same job rank as what he already is...so would not be a promotion. But his desire is so strong to be in The Land! Non of our kids like the idea, of course. But if it happens...I may get to see you face to face one of these days. Have a happy Feast of Tabernacles!! We are going to celebrate with others at a conference up in the mountains. That will be fun. Elizabeth