Monday, June 30, 2008

Coming of Age

It can be scary, this coming of age thing. In my case, it's a coming of old age. I'll give you an example. I woke up this morning at 6:10 a.m. I sat on the toilet and realized just in time that I still had my underwear on. Horrifying. Then if that wasn't all, I took a shower, forgetting that the window to the bathroom was WIDE OPEN. There I was in all my naked glory, showering in front of everyone in the new neighborhood of my town. Just what will my neighbors think? Everyone is new here and getting to know one another and now they get to see their relatively new/old neighborh showering naked - had they looked out their window early this morning.

So now that I got this off my chest, let's go to another coming of age happening in my family.

I sat a couple of weeks ago with my friend from Texas who shared with me her trials and tribulations of living with a 16 year old male teen.

She remarked to me, "I know he jacks off all the time, 'cos he's always taking showers. Even a few times a day!" She seemed so happy that she has a normal son.

On the way home that day, I started to worry. My 16 year old son hardly showers. Maybe once or twice a week, but he's not a daily showerer. I began to wonder where his teenage sexual tension is going, or if he has any at all. He doesn't have a girlfriend, so what the fuck is going on?

Over the weekend I hear Hubby berating my son.

"Every day you change your bed sheets!!! Is this normal?? I can't stand doing these sheets every day in the laundry!!!!"

I walked over to Hubby...

"Shhh. If he 'needs' to change his sheets every day, then let him be. Please!" I pleaded with him. I continued, "It must be his age."

And Hubby stopped his rant, and I was able to sigh - a sigh of relief.

No comments: