Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Independence Day and other stuff

Tonight we celebrate Independence Day. Independence Day from British Rule in 1948 and the creation of a Jewish state. Most Palestinians do not celebrate with us. They call this day the Nakhba or "disaster". So I've been laughing whenever my Palestinian friends wished me a Happy Holiday for today.

"and what will you be doing for the Nakhba?" I asked them.

Pity we don't celebrate Independence Day from the Brits together. But it just can't be for the moment.

Meanwhile, I'm still hoping the good Lord doesn't punish me for wanting to go back to my Paradise in Sinai. I miss it so much that I feel like those biblical Israelites who were reluctant to leave Sinai for the Holy Land. I was just reluctant to go back to the Holy Land, not because of the giant grapes or whatever those spies found there but because I didn't want to face my chronically complaining family, my bosses who work me to the bone. I felt healthier there. I was eating a proper 3 meals, was outdoors the whole day and not in front of a computer all day long. Meanwhile, the hotel manager called my daughter 4 times since Sunday asking when we'll be back and I've had to censor 2 photos so that the daughter's boyfriend doesn't hit the roof - the ones where she's picked up by Mohamed, the Karate black belt guy. He picked her up like a feather.

I teased Hubby that the reason I took my daughter was that I was sick and tired of being the only one in my family who everyone called an "arab lover". So now they'll have to include my daughter in that as well.

And then I came back to an influx of e-mails from the Rolling Stones list - because tickets have gone on sale for their US tour in the fall. I'm getting dizzy reading about how everyone got their seats, which row, which section, what the cost was. These people actually know on the spot exactly where section 35, row 6, Gate 3 is. They'll tell you it's in the back, side, 2nd tier, floor seats, etc. Over the years they have memorized the seating plan of every stadium and arena - so that when they have a choice of tickets online, they know which ones to pick. Astounding.

No comments: