Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Into Exile

in 24 hours - I will have put myself and my Good Daughter into temporary self-inflicted exile. Back to Egypt. Exodus in reverse.

But the good thing about going away is coming back to Israel. You get that "YES I'M HOME!" feeling which is absolutely exhilirating.

Everyone seemed nervous about my going there. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the travel warnings. But I continued to take buses in Jerusalem even when they were blowing buses up weekly. I had no other choice. So what's another travel warning.

I wanted to call up the hotel in Sinai to "suss them out". I wanted to hear their voices and feel what kind of place that was. I always get nervous before a trip.

I spoke to the people at the hotel. They spoke perfect English and were polite but reserved. But when Mohammad heard I was coming from Israel, he turned into my younger brother "MO".

"Hey what's up! You'll have a great time. We have other Israelis here. We have 5 girls your daughter's age. Nice girls. Good girls. Our restaurant is open until 1 in the morning."

I guess that was my biggest concern besides getting a mad driver at the border who may step on the gas pedal a little too hard for my liking. And probably never took driving lessons or passed a driving test to boot. But the hotel said they'd send a driver to the border for us. There's alot of quiet there and I'm packing alot of music and mosquito repellant and comfortable clothing. No fancy nightlife there, which will save me lots of space in our bags. And I feel like I'm about to be pampered in Exile.

I don't know if there is internet access - so if there is - I'll say hello, and if not - talk to y'all on Monday.

Ciao.

1 comment:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Wow, Egypt. I have always wanted to visit that country. Such history. Well, the same can be said for Israel too and I would LOVE to visit Israel. Have fun and be safe.