Saturday, May 21, 2005

Restless woman rant

I felt I was doing ok with myself until I saw something totally evil in the house the other day that I hadn't seen in years. A scale. Unfortunately I stepped on it - and it didn't lie to me. My daughter bought it because it was on sale. I could personally think of alot of other and better things I would buy on sale - rather than that. But never mind. It's a sign from God. The hot summer is a good time to scale down (pun intended) on eating, especially when you feel like drinking water all day long and let's see what happens.

I was noticing out all the Peace stuff going on this week. It seems that that is what they are concentrating on these days. Then the kite flying for peace yesterday, the Gypsy music thing at 2:00 in the Russian Compound that I promised Amoun I would go to, and on Saturday the solidarity visit to Tel Rumeida in Hebron and the silent peace walk in Hawarra.

Hubby rarely joins me on any of these, opting to take me out instead for a lovely rural-side breakfast-brunch.

"If there was an organization called Sex for Peace, I'll join." he muttered on the way to breakfast. So I missed the Kites for Peace thing at 1:00 pm and we passed by a gorgeous flower nursery and spent all our time looking at the exotic and beautiful plants so that I missed the Gypsy thing as well.

The "silent" people of the Walk on Saturday called me to see if I would join. I would mean getting to Jerusalem. Then catching a taxi to Tel Aviv then waiting for someone I never met before to pick me up in her car and then we'd be off to that place. Too much of a hassle for me on the Day of Rest. I opted out.

Perhaps the solidarity visit to the Arabs in Tel Rumeida. Last time I was there was perhaps 7 years ago on a solidarity visit to the Jewish residents there with the Women in Green. Before I embarked on my Peace ventures. I remember waving this huge Israeli flag while I walked around, protected on all 4 sides by Israeli Defense Forces finest. My take then was a bit different obviously. I still think it should be a mixed city of Jews and Arabs because it's a holy city for both - but there's no dialogue there, just alot of hatred towards the other. I'm thinking of going there today, to see what is going on - on the side I didn't care to see seven years ago.

No comments: