Sunday, February 27, 2005

Soul Brothers

What was so weird about my brother-in-law (B-I-L) is that we were both Chassidic 20 years ago but when he couldn't consolidate living a Chassidic lifestyle with being gay he gave it up. And I needed to transform myself once I moved to Israel in order for me to be more tolerant of others living here and found my soul work in Interfaith and non-political peace groups.

So my B-I-L comes to Israel after not being here for 9 years, and is involved in a church in Toronto. But he's not a Christian believer. He believes exactly as I do and it was so weird. He's close with the Pastor and he found affinity in that predominantly black church of 1,000 families because they are so warm and so pro-Israel. He got rabbis to speak there and for them to get to know Judaism better.

I remember when he had befriended years back in Toronto a young neo-Nazi. We were all shocked that he would let that bastard in his home but he thought if he was kind to him, he'll change. Needless to say he is no longer involved with skinheads and shit like that. I credit my B-I-L for that - for showing that guy love instead of reciprocal hate.

He said to me just before he left - what a shame that our religious education taught us to stay away from others - from Christians and Moslems, etc. because they were afraid we'd lose our souls. But our souls seem more fulfilled with being involved with Others, with letting them enter our lives. I can't get over how parallel our lives have become even that we hadn't seen each other in years and hardly communicated.

He had us watch the pastor Joel Olsteen one morning on TV - the Texas preacher. We get alot of these preachers on Middle East TV. He had this enlightening message rather than religious rebuking and his speech was rather uplifting. He was steeped in the Old Testament and he was going on about people not fulfilling themselves because they were frightened and didn't trust God so they didn't take that first step to what could be a more fulfilling job, life, etc.. It could be a message for every one of us - not only for Christians. I told my B-I-L about how it sounded like the story I heard about the Israelites running from the Egyptians and going into the Red Sea until they were up to their necks and only then did the Red Sea part. No sooner had I said that - then Olsteen repeated my story on TV. Hell - let me preach.

It's empty in my house now. The kids are sleeping and there are no brother-in-laws to laugh and reminisce with. They're back in the Great White North.

No comments: