Thursday, February 17, 2005

We import snow

My Criminal daughter called me last week from school and whispered these endearing words into the phone.

"I saw cocaine in daddy's room on his shelf."

Is unemployed Hubby onto expensive drugs?

A pothead maybe, but riding that train high on cocaine was never for him. Even when he made money. I tried explaining to her that I had just bought him baking soda for brushing his teeth, which he stored in his room, so maybe it was that. But she insisted that it was Peruvian marching powder.

Later that evening, the first thing I did when I got back home was to inspect our shelves. Sure enough it was baking soda that he had taken out of the box and it was stored in a wax paper bag. I wondered if she had snorted some and what effect it had on her. Definitely cheaper to snort baking soda anyways.

I remember the time in the late 1970s when I was in New York City sitting windowside at a trendy jock bar where hockey players used to hang out. I was in deep conversation with a New York radio DJ and absentmindedly poured sugar on the table and toyed around with the pile on the table with my fork. Immediately the owner of the joint comes over, hysterical and whispers to us loudly - "You CAN'T do blow here. Put it away immmediately."

My - aren't WE paranoid!

"It's only sugar - sugar" I told him. He was totally embarrassed.

Speaking of snow - real snow - yesterday the Jerusalem suburb of Ma'aleh Adumim imported snow from the Hermon so that our snow-deprived children could frolic in real snow for several hours. They dumped a couple of truckloads by City Hall. My son joined in the snowball throwing fracas and came home with his shoes all soaked. We don't own a pair of gloves either. But being that "they" had predicted snow for Jerusalem last week and the snow was a no-show, they had this happening for the kids who couldn't stay home from school on Sunday being that it ended up being spring-like weather instead of the forecasted snow alert over the weekend. At least my tax money is going for some enjoyment.

2 comments:

B2 said...

Now that is what we call an incredible segue!

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Peruvian marching powder!!! Ha Ha. I love that term!! :-)