Saturday, February 25, 2006

Jah Bless

I was wondering what it would be like to be in a state of Jah Bless. Actually, I saw this name from someone who was posting in the Hippie email forum called Rainbow Mid-East. So he or she is jobless but feels blessed from God (the reggae form is written Jah) at the same time. And I am a slave - starting at work at 7:30, not having regular lunch breaks, except when I rack up the nerve to tell my bosses I'm having a break, but only on those rare pressure-less days. And then, not getting out of work until 5:00 pm. I wonder what it would be like to be Jah Bless. But then I'd be frightened of not having that monthly paycheck which pays for rent and other sundries like my multi-focals, the dentist, the orthodontist, the cable tv, internet, etc.

At the macrobiotic Nabe party I went to - not a party for chocaholics or alchoholics certainly. This is where you sit around a table where there is a broth boiling and you boil many kinds of veggies one by one and eat them together - the Queen of Macro in Jerusalem pointed out proudly that she never held a 9 to 5 job in her life. She gets her money from what she loves doing - healing, counselling, teaching the macrobiotic way of life. Plus she lives in a beautiful country home 20 minutes from Jerusalem. That is living.

And my kids are as confused as I was at their age. The oldest may not go to university or she may decide to study some kind of business administration. The 2nd one has the brains for university and the grades, but has no clue what to study. There's no liberal arts here, where you study a variety of things and then you decide what you like best. Here you have to decide first and then study for it.

I want better for my kids. I don't want them stuck in a state of job/salary slavery. I would love for them to be fearless while they're young and without the heavy responsibility of family and go for it. But they haven't a clue yet what to go for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in Brazil you also have to choose what to study before applying to it. And since the army is not mandatory in here, we actually have to choose it right after high school, which means there are 17-year-old people getting into Law School (this was my case). Anyways, it might help them visit a few universities and sit for classes in the areas they find interesting. Talking to professionals is usually an eye-opener. I'll be glad to tell them how the real life of a lawyer is if any of them is interested in pursuing a legal career.
Changing subjects, the free Rolling Stones concert took place last Saturday, in Copacabana beach. Around 1.200.000 people (I kid you not) attended the concert.

Anonymous said...

like you needed to hear that!

Unknown said...

were you there Cleia? At the concert? I don't know if I would have ventured. Stones love Brazil. I wish they would make it over here. Brazil is more dangerous than Israel, yet they manage.

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't venture there. Too many people, and plus the concert was broadcasted to the whole country. You're right, many people were afraid to go there, but on the other hand, everybody is saying this is their last tour...anyways, it seems there were no major incidents. People are scared about Rio de Janeiro’s violence, but the real problems happened at their Buenos Aires gig, right after the Brazilian concert...