Saturday, February 18, 2006

Turkey Testicles

 

I kid you not. There they were in full regalia at my local supermarket. I was the first person there at 7:00 am on Friday - feeling that the supermarket was mine exclusively and everything in it. Even this. The Arab men behind the meat counter, who have been teaching me chicken parts in Arabic, didn't find selling these things amusing. Even when I pulled out my camera to take a picture.

One of them spoke English to me. The one, with the university degree from Ber Zeit U.

"They don't sell these things in Canada?"

"Absolutely not. They probably wouldn't let them off the plane."

"Not even these?" he pointed at the chicken hearts.

"Not even those."

"But the livers yes." Of course, they sell livers.

I had hoped I wasn't offending them by taking a photo of their wares. But they gathered together watching me.

"You know in our tradition, it's good luck for us to see the first customer of the morning!"

I asked "Good luck for you? Or good luck for me?" thinking how lucky could I get to get a glimpse of a full tray of turkey testicles.

Oh, and I never did bother to ask them how to say "turkey testicles" in Arabic.

 Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Liza said...

Perhaps good luck for you and for them, though certainly not for the turkeys...

Andrea said...

wow! that is a new food staple I have never heard of!
Oh and I think that you can find chicken hearts in specialty stores.

Anonymous said...

In 1967, when visiting a Yeminite artist friend in Israel, his wife prepared a dish of stewed turkey balls.

Anonymous said...

In 1967, when visiting a Yeminite artist friend in Israel, his wife prepared a dish of stewed turkey balls.

Unknown said...

And you ate it????

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I work at Nextbook.org, the online Jewish culture magazine, and I wanted to ask permission to use an image on your, from this page, http://jerusalemgypsy.blogspot.com/2006/02/turkey-testicles.html. My email is sivry at nextbook dot org. This story will run tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec. 9 and will remain up in perpetuity. If you can, would you mind emailing me and letting me know if we can use this picture and what exact credit to provide? Thanks for your consideration.
Sara Ivry