Monday, March 20, 2006

Gypsy daughters

"Our daughter could be getting married as early as June" I told Hubby as he drove us home.

"Are you getting all stressed out about it?" he asked.

Not at all. In fact, I should be totally stressed. We have $200 saved up for this wedding, which should cost us a total of about $10,000. And we have 3 months to find this moolah. I should be screaming for HELP. I should be tearing my hair out. I should be telling my daughter to elope and forget about a real wedding because in reality, unless I win a lottery, we could only save $2,000 by then. But I feel strangely calm about all this. I don't know why. Perhaps it's my meatless diet or my macrobiotic diet. I know everything will fall into place. It always does somehow.

I did cry yesterday as I tossed out my leftover chicken, though. None of my kids were ready to eat chicken even though the health ministry has been telling everyone as long as you cook the chicken, even if the bird is infected with avian flu, the heat will kill the bacteria. But not trusting our government, believing that the chicken industry is probably too valuable for them to destroy or to compensate, we decided they were lying and we weren't going to eat chicken for a while. I guess I could have been also brought to tears because I had to cook yesterday's dinner instead of eating the leftovers, as is our custom on Sundays. It's too traumatic for me to begin my work week on Sunday AND have to cook dinner all on the same day. So it shouldn't be a total loss, we tossed the chickens to the street cats out in the back. There were 2 days worth of human dinners out near the garbage and the cats took to it gracefully.

Then my daughters came home last night early enough to grace me with a conversation. The Good Daughter broke up with her Romanian boyfriend of 4 years - she broke his heart but she wanted to "date" because she had never had that experience. He was her first boyfriend. She found some Persian guy she liked over the many others that have been calling her lately, who she favors over them all.

The Complainer broke up with her Persian boyfriend of 1 1/2 years because he cheated on her. He calls her all the time and pops over still. He is heartbroken too. She immediately fell into the arms of some other poor soul, whose family on his mother's side is in the Israeli Mafia. Wow. Now, we have connections. Hubby doesn't know this yet, but I'm sure he won't be so pleased. He'll blame it all on me going to my friend's messianic synagogue for Purim where I laughed at the Godfather parody during the reading of the Megillah. But the Complainer, in one of her wiser moments, told me - "We're not a perfect family either. Dad's brother is gay, does that mean we're all gay?"

Certainly not. I'm miserable. Just kidding. She did give me alot of pleasure though with that bright retort.

2 comments:

Fayrouz said...

Hello there,

I found your blog from a comment you left on Fayrouz's blog (My name is Fayrouz too)

Thank you for your sense of humor. You reminds me of my sister-in-law. She can make you laugh even if her world is falling apart.

I hope all goes well with your daughter's wedding plans.

Unknown said...

Thank you Fayrouz. I have alot of Fayrouz's music (the Lebanese singer). But I think she spells her name Fairuz. Whatever. Thanks again for the good wishes. And you guessed it - my world does fall apart - often....:-)