Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Did I do that?

I went to my first Women's Interfaith meeting in Jerusalem - a separate group from the one I am involved with. They had alot more people at the meetings - about 25 people showed up. I knew some of the people there. The Moslem and Christian speakers talked about conflicts they have with trying to be a modern woman and their respective religions. They were very open in speaking about their sexual conflicts, etc. It was pretty enlightening for me to hear this. I don't think these women would be as open in a mixed gender group.

There was a woman snapping photos of us from a US-based organization called Peace X peace - consisting of a group of international women making peace. They're showing a film next week of their work at the cinemateque.

During the break an ultra-Orthodox Jewish woman came to me and said she had read about me in the local papers about my interfaith work and decided to be a part of it too. She had been coming to meetings for the past two months. I was quite surprised and extremely happy that a little publicity had an effect on at least one person. She works for an organization that rehabilitates people with physical defects, people in wheelchairs, etc. I hope to try and hook her up with a Palestinian rehab place in Jerusalem. She was more than happy to hear about them and doing some activities with them as well.

So even though I nearly fell asleep during one of the presentations out of sheer exhaustion, and was wondering if I should have gone to this meeting altogether because of overload, I felt that it was worth the effort because I think that this new connection will be a good connection.

1 comment:

B2 said...

Sounds like you're doing good work there -- yasher koach!