Thursday, March 17, 2005

So what if I'm a Junkie

I was sitting with the rest of the loser parents with their loser kids who couldn't get into the local junior high school. The wait to speak to the guidance counselor was about 1 1/2 hours. I felt I was waiting for the Wizard of Oz. Meanwhile, the "elite" school's hallway was teeming with teens, skipping classes to socialize or whatever. I wasn't too impressed after all. The end result was that they'll let him know in June if he's in or not. If he were not to go into this place, the alternative is another junior high with a very right-wing slant. I'm not sure I want him to go there. How would he feel besides having a mother who speaks English and embarrasses him to the nines - how would he feel going to a very right-wing school and having a mother who's a junkie? At least that's what my friend Eliyahu called me today. I told him I was blogging all the peace stuff around Jerusalem each week and he said - "you know what? You're a peace junkie".

Beforehand I knew I was a chocolate junkie, a food junkie, a second-hand clothes shop junkie, a Richard Gere junkie, a Rolling Stones junkie, and during my son's bar mitzvah we were all collectively called Janglo Junkies. Janglo is a many-times-daily e-mail list for all the Jerusalem Anglos. It lists everything from moving sales, to concert listings, to people looking for jobs, nanny's, pet sitters, schools, medical information, food information, and even someone looking for Gothic people and people into the Renaissance area for get togethers, even Shakespeare recitals. I got some of my furniture/appliances from Janglo advertisements and Hubby even got some work from people looking to renovate, etc. But I think I like being a Peace Junkie the best.

No comments: