Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Jezebel

I know now what kind of mother-in-law I will be for my future daughter-in-law. They should only watch out for the mother-in-law from hell.

My thirteen year old son applied to the local junior high school and was rejected. He's not a bad kid, I've had worse. In fact, his grades are average, not below average, plus he's not a troublemaker. God knows, I've seen much worse. But, unfortunately, he's the kind of kid that if someone starts up with him and he hits back, he's the one they catch and he's the one that gets suspended. They wrote him up for pushing someone - even accidentally.

In this country nothing is without a fight. So I'm fighting to get him into the school not because I love this school. They certainly didn't endear me to them when they sent a rejection letter to him personally. It's because all his friends are going there and that's where he wants to go. And why shouldn't he be able to? I contacted everyone I thought could perhaps help - his teacher, his guidance counselor - who all said they would help but did absolute dick. I called a Rabbi with connections to the school. I called the school that rejected him and no one called me back. Finally I spoke to the guidance counselor of that school today.

"Why did you reject him" - I inquired.
"Does he have behavior problems?" she asked.
"No, he doesn't."
"Well I see he has a few marks in the school's "violence" files"
"They marked him down for very minor stuff"

She settled for an interview with me and the Kid on Thursday. Meanwhile, I will be calling all his teachers, and getting their opinions of the Kid and writing them down in order to give to the counselor on Thursday. One cannot fight in this country empty handed.

I told my dear son that he has to be on his absolute BEST behavior now before the interview. But yesterday in school on the way to the bathroom, he was accosted by someone of the female persuasion. She wanted to "talk". So he did talk to her and was 20 minutes late for class. This was immediately written down in his file. I asked him why he did that. Why couldn't he tell this brazen hussy who was also not in her class (the school has separate classes for boys and girls), that he had to go to class or he'd be late.

"I didn't want her to think I was a nerd."

"So you may have screwed up your chance to get into this junior high after all. Was it worth it? Because of a girl???"

I already am hating his future girlfriends.

No comments: