Sunday, March 13, 2005

Rose of Jericho

Every once in a while, just when you thought things are going smooth, a new scare comes along. Remember when everyone saw the movie, Jaws, in the late 1970s and no one would swim in the ocean any longer - myself included?

My daughter said that she read in the local paper a news article that 38 people from our city have the Rose of Jericho disease from sandfly bites. This is an awful disease that takes 2 - 12 months to cure and people are left with ugly scars. They are looking to a Bedouin doctor for traditional treatment for this or for prevention - I'm not sure which. Meanwhile, the people affected are living in the older section of the city, not where we live. Plus Bouganvilleas are supposed to kill off these pests. And my neighbor's bouganvillea is draped over our front entrance so hopefully his gorgeous plant will do the trick.

Meanwhile, it's my 22nd wedding anniversary today. I'm waiting for Hubby to take me out to dinner and I can indulge in fine food before I freak out again at the thought of disease-ridden-carrying sandflies in my city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a nice name for a horrible disease..

musophrenia