Monday, May 10, 2004

This past Saturday night began the Lag B'omer holiday. It's a mystical holiday and people light bonfires all over empty lots, wadis, parks, etc. I of course didn't want to celebrate it like everyone else and went to a moshav just outside Jerusalem to hear and participate in some chanting/singing for peace that was a bit out of the ordinary. Jeanne White Eagle, and her entourage were just finishing up a tour of Israel and I found myself singing vowels spontaneously along with about 40 other young Israelis. It actually sounded quite good, and felt liberating somehow. Afterwards, we all went to the bonfire inside the open teepee (yes, teepees just outside Jerusalem!) and then danced to ethnic/blues and soul until I couldn't keep my eyes open - which was just around 11:00 pm - just to show you how old I've gotten.

Do you know that in preparation for this holiday, thousands of shopping carts are stolen from supermarkets across the country??? This was actually in the papers. I love articles like this one. I saw one of those said carts in front of my house, as the criminal kid was bringing wood to store on MY porch. My son was popular because he had volunteered our space for wood that will burn all night long.

No comments: