Monday, July 05, 2004

Boyfriends

3 of my oldest daughters have them. One is Iranian, born in Tehran, one is Romanian and one is of Moroccan descent. They don't want to date anyone of American descent - they're too nerdy they say. Oy. Hubby calls them all "kebabs" - the Iranian Kebab, the Romainian Kebab, etc. which annoys the shit out of my girls. Whenever they fight, Hubby takes sides - "Drop her like a hot potato" he said to the Iranian boyfriend. So when my 2nd oldest daughter fought with her boyfriend, which isn't too often, my son piped in with a - "Drop him like a hot potato" in his Israeli accent. I don't know how permissive other parents are, but the boys generally are allowed to stay the night since they're "steadies". Once we heard the Iranian guy blow his nose real loud in the sink. "Why is he doing that? What's wrong with using tissues, western-style?" I asked Hubby. He said it's a middle-eastern thing, he's seen the Arabs do it too. The Iranian leaves his shoes outside her room as is his tradition, not to put shoes in bedrooms. Our 2nd daughter usually stays over the Romanian boyfriend's place because our place is too noisy and she can't study. But it's summer sweetie. Never mind. Habits are hard to break. The Romanian, when he does stay over, is our house chef. He makes us all breakfast on weekends. The Iranian gives us all assorted gifts from his family dollar store whenever he can, but eat American Jewish food? He usually carts my daughter off to his house for a meal of rice heavily flavored with dill, or they go to the mall for a schwarma. The Moroccan boyfriend is usually hidden upstairs in my 3rd daughter's room for the sheer embarrassment at our not-so-spiffy furniture and not your typically middle-eastern - you-can-eat-off-the-floor-because-it's-so-clean - floors. So I don't know what his talents are yet. But now my only son has 3 new brothers and pesters them accordingly.

6 comments:

timx said...

Sounds pretty healthy to me!

lunagypt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
siren said...

you are such a cool mommy...!!

Proshat said...

Hi. I am an Iranian. & well, Not all Iranians BLOW their noses in the sink. so that might be a prsonal habitt. but i guess most of the iranians tend to take off their shoes in the house. but we do have sandles to wear insid the house. to be honsent I have never walked bare foot in the house.
& I guess about the food you are right... Irainians dont like (let's say) forign foods. but hey we have really tasty meals... (ok now I am being prejudice).
well, you had a nice discribtion ... & I guess i must thank you for accepting one of my fellow mates in your family.

fkuds said...

Your family sounds as ecentric as mine is. I loved the description!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you let the boys stay over... what kind of mother does that? can I come over too?