Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Millionaire Next Door

I want to acknowledge some comments - thanks for the SaveKaren website. I don't know what we could do with that website except get some tips. Should Hubby become an on-line shnorrer, a Holy Beggar? I think he'll absolutely freak. But if he believes Osama is really reading this and perhaps that bum wants to do a little good in this world and give charity, why not give some honey to Hubby? And anyway isn't he better off giving alms instead of arms to the poor. Oh well. I'm PMS-y and it's a good thing I've not been invited to a party anytime soon. Today I'm antisocial. I pick up the phone at work and growl - WHAT. My friends walk into my office and I feel like Linda Blair from the exorcist. l-e-a-v-e m-e a-l-o-n-e. Truth is, I've not had caffeine today, trying to get off it, so I've got a wrenching headache to boot. Plus my Criminal daughter is keeping "Keith Richards hours" which are like sleeping from 5 am until 4 pm. Plus I've been nominated the bus monitor for my Interfaith seminar this week to make sure everyone gets on the bus for the 3 hour trip and no one is left behind. My luck my cellphone battery will run out and I won't be able to call anyone. My bosses are making me work 3 days during my summer vacation when the office is supposed to be closed.

I've been reading the book The Millionaire Next Door. All the "don't"s are what I do. I spend before I get the $. I've already picked out a computer and a digital camera and have restaurants pegged out for lunches when I have my days off next week. Investing? Saving? I save to spend. I try and make more in order to spend more. Jesus saves and Leah spends. I do have a pension at work - and the HR person who knows me wisely transferred it to a fund where I will NEVER be able to get at that money before the age of 65 "otherwise you won't have it because you'll spend it" said the wise young woman at my work. My brother lives frugally. He doesn't opt for a bigger place, even though he squishes his big kids in 2 tiny bedrooms. The apartment is old and their appliances are pushing 20 years old. But he won't have to worry when he's retired in a few years. Me? Lord knows what will be of me.

By the way, and changing the subject and seriously speaking - I'm trying to do my good deed for the day - a girlfriend of mine from Brazil has a granddaughter with a rare disease. She is only 5 months old. I'm terribly saddened by it and hope to donate what I can when I get paid. This is her website and thanks for helping a really, good and worthy cause. "He who saves one life is like he saves the entire world." - I forgot who said it, but someone did.

No comments: