Friday, July 23, 2004

Wild and Crazy Women

I got depressed this morning when Hubby told me he lost 4 jobs this year because people didn't hire him as he doesn't employ "JEWS ONLY". In his business, he is an equal opportunity employer and he won't not put an Arab on a jobsite just because someone is uncomfortable or is racist or whatever. But I thought of some hilarious stuff this morning so instead of being morbid, I'll focus on this.

I remember once in New York City a non Jewish person walking near a group of Hassidim said to his friend - "Could you imagine them "doing it"? They must do it like jackrabbits." Well, sweet ignorant pea, if you would have gotten to know us, some of us Hassidic misfits were a pretty wild (but stable) bunch. No extramartial affairs, no heavy drugs, although once before Passover I did smoke a huge reefer with Hubby to calm my nerves, in the basement by the washing machine, in my modestly-dressed glory. Years back in Toronto when I was part of the Lubavitch Hassidic group, I wore a wig or a scarf to cover all my hair, wore very modest dresses, no slacks, no short sleeves, etc. You get the picture. But sometimes us women had to get together and let our hair down, so to speak. One evening we gathered together at my friend Reva's house for Italian night. We had to eat Italian and look Italian. No men were going to be there and we could let loose. I ran out of the house with my winter coat over my sleeveless camisole, and 5 inch spiked heeled black shoes. I wore a black wig and lots of eye makeup. I wanted to look like a hot Sicilian mama (I was much younger then!). My other friend, didn't want to go the immodest route and dressed as a widow all in black. We threw her Hubby out of the house, shut the drapes and took off our coats to reveal our revealing clothes. My girlfriend, originally from Bombay, was too hot in the house, so she ate in her bra and we were all so giggly and happy.

Then there was the night I came back from the mikvah (see yesterday's post) with a trenchcoat and nothing underneath. I wanted to surprise Hubby. My neighbor, a Hassidic Israeli woman, stopped me and invited me into her home on the way to mine. I laughed and told her I can't really stop by tonight because I'm stark stark naked under this coat - no clothing!!! We roared with laughter for 10 minutes outside her house. She thought I was "so cool" after that and would regularly confide in me about her sex life after I confided in her about my wardrobe (or lack of) that night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read once that a woman wanting to surprise her husband, decided to wear nothing but a treachcoat and when he came to the back door, coming in from work, she flashed him. He was so shocked, he fell down the whole flight of stairs into the basement and broke both legs. I guess he was a happy hurting guy for a while. HA! I think you maybe should be somewhat careful in how much you shock an old husband...he might kick the bucket in his shock! HA! Elizabeth