Friday, July 02, 2004

Suspicions

Some one send me this joke today-

Two Arabs boarded a flight out of London. One took a window seat and the other sat next to him in the middle seat. Just before takeoff, an American sat down in the aisle seat. After takeoff, the American kicked his shoes off, wiggled his toes and was settling in when the Arab in the window seat said, "I need to get up and get a coke." "Don't get up" said the American, "I'm in the aisle seat. I'll get it for you." As soon as he left, one of the Arabs picked up the American's shoe and spat in it. When he returned with the coke, the other Arab said, "That looks good, I'd really like one, too."
Again, the American obligingly went to fetch it. While he was gone the other Arab picked up his other shoe and spat in it. When the American returned, they all
sat back and enjoyed the flight. As the plane was landing, the American slipped his feet into his shoes and knew immediately what had happened.
"Why does it have to be this way?" he asked.
"How long must this go on?
This fighting between our nations?
This hatred?
This animosity?
This spitting in shoes and pissing in cokes."

I usually like off-color jokes, but I'm not sure I liked this one - promoting suspicion of the Other. Because it all seems so true.

Reminds me of the first time I went into an Arab home when I was 17 (20 years ago or so)(the family assisted us when our rented car got stuck in the mud in their village). I had never tasted mint tea in the early 1970s - never mind ever hearing of it. This was before the herbal tea thing started to become popular. They offered me mint tea and I took one sip, and not recognizing the strange taste, suspected it to be poison. I wouldn't drink the rest of it. Well, the sip didn't kill me, in fact I drink mint tea quite regularly these days - and sage tea is quite popular among Arabs here as well. But I'm sure the suspicion of us Jews is quite prevalent unfortunately among the Palestinian population as well.

Unfortunately, I see fear and suspicion as having caused great tragedies for the two peoples living in this land. So the best way to eradicate it - the way I see it - would be to have these intefaith/intercultural meetings grow and involve most of the population. There's now a very small minority involved in such meetings, but as people get sick of the violence, the only option is this - to get to know the other, which will eventually cause a breakdown of suspicion and fear.

Look what's happened in the past - two examples - in 1929 there was a massacre of Jews living in Hebron because the Islamic religious leaders told their people that the Jews were going to annihilate them. And when Baruch Goldstein feared that the Arabs in the Hebron mosque would kill all the Jews going to celebrate the holiday of Purim in the Cave of the Patriarchs, he murdered 39 Moslem worshippers while they were praying. It's tragic, and those tragedies could have all been averted had we all not been suspicious of one another.

There are so many interfaith/intercultural activities going on, it makes me dizzy. I missed one this weekend at the Druze village of Ramah where we were going to go with women and the youth of that village on a hike and get to know their village, etc. In the States I hear of tremendous stuff going on that my friend Eliyahu is involved in - Two interesting ones were:

"Next in DC on Jan 11th, I was the guest speaker at an Arab-Jewish dialogue
group that meets monthly in a well known restaurant, Mimi's Bistro. It is
owned by an Iraqi-American who hosts the dialogues and was excited to see
the Sulha video and get copies sent to his friends."

"Back in Philadelphia on Jan. 20th, I attended a special event called
"Search for Common Ground" - a dialogue between Dr Akbar Ahmed, the
Pakistani chair of Islamic studies at American University in DC and Dr.
Judea Pearl, father of the Jewish journalist who was murdered in Pakistan.
It was a powerful discussion about the obstacles to and the possibilities of
reconciliation between Jews and Muslims and Islam and the West. Dr. Ahmad
invited me to speak later to his students, as I will describe later."

The next 'Sulha' gathering will take place Aug 17-19 in the Galilee. There will a
children's space, talking circles, a tent of Hagar and Sarah, a Bereaved
Parents tent, shared kosher/halal meals, and live music. I am helping to
organize a space within the gathering for many peace and dialogue groups to
share their work with the wider public. Please see this website for details
and come join us if you can! www.metasulha.org

- If this keeps up, there'll be a shortage of these kinds of jokes! Who can we pick on then?



9 comments:

Phoesable said...

Leah, I no longer remember how I found your site... I probably followed a link on a blog I read regularly... I just have to say how much I really appreciate your words on this and other like topics. It reminds me of an episode of This American Life, a radio program in the States, where a man goes to meet the American children's programming icon Mr. Rodgers (of Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood) and tells Mr. Rodgers about this much smaller scale feud between his neighbor and himself and how it started to change when he went to interview her in preparation for his meeting with Mr. Rodgers. And Mr. Rodgers, characteristically, said, "And you found, didn't you, that once you got to know her you stopped being so irritated with her [for the things she did to perpepuate the mini-feud]. That's what happens when we get to know each other." So simple, and yet very poignant and true. You strike me as very bravely on this path, and I appreciate that you share it.

threechordme said...

well I dont know why but Mimi's Bistro sounds familiar but i know i havent been there yet i am wondering was th e food any good if it was imigh tjsut have to go some time also waht is the name of the group

[E-man]² said...

cool blog! check out my blog too!
www.justeman.blogspot.com


thx a lot for your attention, and i'm waiting for your visit on my blog!

keep doing great!

-emanuel

Trudy said...

hey there...
just came about ur blog...
which have a interesting title...
during the june hols did u see any large group of ppl Singapore going to Jerusalem?
i hope to go next year with them...
trying my best to save up and go on the trip like them-with my church... btw... its called City Harvest...

Anonymous said...

wow.

Blanche and Guy said...

There's a cool CD we got in Israel a few years ago by the Fools of Prophecy.. ever heard of them? They have some great, mind-opening lyrics.. one of them is: af ehad lo ya zov po (or something to that affect) which translates into: nobody is leaving here.. we all live here so we might as well try to get along. I think that goes for every community in the world. Tolerance and understanding can be so hard to find sometimes but they are the only solution.

Looking forward to our trip home in October.. maybe we'll meet for coffee one day?!

Philip H said...

Hello, I just found your journal. I will return to read more of your thoughtful writing. As a student in Eugene, Oregon, I witnessed such a search for common ground among the Middle East Peace Group, led by a Jewish American and Palestinian American. They were one of many groups and individual citizens that rallied around the local synagogue after vandals attacked it one night, in late 2002. The link is to the column I wrote. If more people strove to understand and appreciate as you do, fewer people would have reason to fear those who are unlike they.

Mary J. said...

Today is america's independence day, and I feel like doing anything but celebrating. My beau and I went to the movies to watch Spiderman 2, our little mental escape during a weekend of studying, and on our way in I saw a three people (friends? family?) wearing these patriotic t-shirts. On closer inspection they read: "Now it's our turn!" with a jet plane (stealth?) filled in with red, white, and blue stripes.

Hasn't it always been our turn? or the turn for hatred and ignorance?

When is it time for acceptance and understanding? I hope the future has some place for it.

Yasmin said...

Hello,

I love your joke about the American and the Arabs.

I want to know about Akbar Ahmed, the professor and the writer, I thought he died a while back. I read one of his books, The person that book belongs to told me the dude died about 4 years ago. Maybe that is not true.

Anyway, I am new in the blogging world I just want to say Hi, and funny stuff.

Be safe