Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Bubby Goes to Church

I tried posting yesterday, but for some reason, it wouldn't post - hence the same post today. Sunday was Bubby's birthday. Bubby is the Yiddish term for grandmother. Mother of Caveman Hubby. It's also Polish for grandmother. She is somewhere in her mid to late 70's. I have no clue and I'm embarrassed to ask her. I'll have to wait until Hubby's brothers come to visit us next month. She is very Jewish in her thinking but very Canadian in her accent. When there is something I say she doesn't hear or understand, I hear a very resounding "EH???" She sounds like those two canucks from the Great White North on Second City TV (or was it Saturday Night Live?) - "well, what do you think aboot that? eh?" I met her before I even laid eyes on Hubby and fell in love with her. I think I married Hubby because I wanted her to be my mother-in-law. She is a bit of a loner though and doesn't get out much because she now walks with a cane. So I was surprised when she told me she had to rush off the phone because she had to get dressed to go to church.

CHURCH?

Yes. You see her other son's partner (they are both gay) who is the son of Pentecostal Ministers (both parents are ministers but to my knowledge don't know their son is gay) is singing in the church choir and it's a hell of a choir (can I say that?). It's in a black or African-Canadian church and he just cut a CD with that choir and they've even been nominated for a Grammy in the Gospel category (I really do have to check that out). So to the church she is going.

She told me - You'd love this church. They absolutely just love Israel.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

"She told me - You'd love this church. They absolutely just love Israel" I love it! How cute!!