Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Here, there and everywhere

I must suffer from adult ADD. I seem to be interrupting people, left, right and center when they talk to me and their sentence consists of something over 15 words. At work, the Professor's assistant could sit like a statue, so still and so quiet, for an hour. But I have to walk around the room, grab an apple, a drink of water - even run to the bathroom.

Two nights ago I met with my Gypsy friend. I was penniless and she treated me to dinner at the Jerusalem Hotel. I ate like a starving cat and when I was done and about to leave, one of my guests at the hotel who knew my friend, brought his beer and nuts over. I knew right then and there, he was going to stay awhile. But he was interesting. A political economist. What that is, I really have no idea, but his travels throughout the years sounded fascinating and running around the West Bank is probably peanuts for someone who had spears aimed at him in Papau New Guinea. He was originally from Liverpool and claimed to have gone to the same school as John Lennon. He seemed about his age, perhaps a bit younger. He said John scratched "Duane Eddy rules" on his desk in class. I love hearing shit like that. He seemed to be in love with my friend, but my friend loves no one except people she can't have. That's the way of the world, isn't it. I dished out my business card to two cute young Palestinians who wondered why I was living here.

"To help bring peace between Jews and Arabs."

I don't know if that impressed them or not, but I promptly got a call from one of them that evening, promptly asking me out the next evening for drinks.

"Didn't you tell them you were married?" asked an irritated Hubby.

"No, there was no absolutely no time before you got there and I had to rush out."

But anyway, I was elated that any man under the age of 70 had finally asked me out. Husbands will not understand that about their aging wives. I felt about 25 years old again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true...being asked for a "date" at any age jst makes us feel we're still attractive n wanted...
the excitment of going for dates jst pumps us up n suddenly we seem to look younger ;)