Saturday, January 08, 2005

Celebrating Elvis' Birthday near Jerusalem

I figured Hubby needed quality time with me. How? Simple things he did like when I asked for some toilet paper while I was stuck in the toilet and he comes in bearing or, rather, baring, his - er - um - "human" toilet paper holder on his happy self.

Or yesterday when I noticed a tear in his jeans around the groin area when I was getting out of the car.

"Honey, you have a rip over THERE!" the rip staring right at me.

"I know. That's because my nuts are overheating." OK OK - I promise to give you some quality time.

My kids were wining because we didn't want to take them this afternoon on our rare Saturday outing.

"Where you going?" the 2 younger ones asked. My 15 year old insisted she was coming with us. I don't think she cared where we were going.

"We're going to visit Elvis."

"Who's that?"

Israel was celebrating what would have been Elvis' 70th birthday today in various places. Hubby noticed they're having Elvis impersonators all day today at the Elvis cafe near Jerusalem just outside the Globus movie studios, where the Golan/Globus team makes their actions flicks.

I've passed this place once - it's a shrine to Elvis, with a Golden Elvis statue in front of the place. But this time we went in. I just had to see Israeli Elvis impersonators. The place was covered in Elvis photos, even the ceilings had drawings of Elvis. A true Elvis heaven. One guy wearing a white Elvis suit, looking more like Roy Orbison, playing an acoustic guitar, singing Jailhouse Rock, was doing the tables.

"When can we hear you sing?" Hubby asked him.

"If you pay me I'll sing at your table."

"Do you think we can get Elvis to lap dance for us, if we pay him a little more?" This was getting seriously interesting.

Pretty soon the place was flooded with God-knows-what - families with young children, people our age, and quite a few with that 50's Fonzi look. Everyone who had that ducktail hairdo was "lookalike" enough for the patrons who whipped out their cameras. Hubby went to the toilets downstairs and said while he was peeing, there was a guy primping his hair - getting that "do" just so. Geez. We stayed an hour, sang along with Roy Orbison/Elvis who sang a bunch of Little Richard songs and I wondered if everyone knew that was Little Richard and not Elvis. It didn't matter. We had some quality time together.

No comments: