Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Cats and Dogs

I was watching our dog (a male bassett hound 7 month old puppy) the other day interact with a street cat who likes to jumps up onto a car then onto our porch to get at the dog food there. He usually chases it, but this time he sniffed the cat while it was eating. The cat looks back with a "What the hay-ell do you think you're doing" look. The dog lies down and watches as the cat eats up his food.

I heard my hubby laughing in the washroom this morning around 5:30 am. What the fuck is so funny at 5:30 in the morning and on the day of my dad's funeral? He recalled how I told him about the list of people I called so they can visit me during the week of mourning for dad. I understood what was so funny. My siblings are pillars of their respective communities and then there's me. Hubby says we are the Israeli equivalent of the famous dysfunctional Osbourne family. The people that will visit my brother and sister will be quite similar, a very homogenous group. Who is coming to visit me over the week? Chassidic Jews, New Agers, rainbow hippies, Palestinians, Gypsies, healers, and Carmela the nun. I absolutely adore my eclectic bunch of friends.

I called up my dad's second wife to tell her about dad (they had not been living together for 5 years). She is an ardent follower and supporter of the late, extreme right-wing, anti-Arab Rabbi Kahane (My dad was not one of his followers) and I'm wondering what will God's plan be. Will people who normally do not socialize together -get it together after the funeral to talk and break bread? Like the cat and dog chilling out together on my porch?

3 comments:

everthink? said...

I heard some fellow on television say something about “his Blog” the other day. His context seemed entirely political; so of course thought it was almost like my duty to put in my two cents, and see if I couldn’t raise the volume as much as possible. Today I was trying to figure out this blog stuff when I saw your title “jerusalem wanderings” and began to read. You’ve made so much better use of this medium than I intended. I believe it’s likely you don’t know the good you do. I’m a grandfather. I live, as I was born, in the southeastern area of the United States. I am more than a nominal Christian. We might seem to have little in common. Even so, I believe I can tell you with certainty your father must have been very proud of you. Since your writing reveals much your nature, so it reveals something of your father. He must have been a good man. Much as you miss him, your presence is proof he lived and his life had meaning. Be assured many like me, are praying for peace in Jerusalem which your writing may be more likely to bring than anything else I’ve seen.
Keep writing we need it.

Mike

Vegard Wikeby said...

Indeed, keep up the good work, by being you.

Esther said...

I like the way you compare the relationship of people with different backgrounds/life styles to that of cats and dogs. So different yet with a bit of tolerance a happy medium can be achieved