Thursday, June 17, 2004

More Interfaith

I just read today that Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury, a journalist from Bangladesh who dared to say that Jews and Muslims can live together, has been imprisoned for 6 months. There's a website which can give you more information about this guy. Sheesh. I guess I'd probably get a life sentence or death by stoning for my interfaith activities if I lived there. One must be thankful for living in a place which gives you freedom of speech.

Speaking of interfaith work - the group in which I am actively involved, has made me the Jewish coordinator of it's Jerusalem chapter. I'm thrilled. We already had our first coordinator's meeting last week and we three women - a Jew, a Christian and a Moslem -celebrated and brainstormed for our upcoming interfaith session over ice cream. I got an even better surprise when they said they were going to send me to Barcelona in early July for the Parliament of World Religions.

To retrack - and this is what I find so amusing - I had printed out business cards for myself back in February, which had nothing to do with my 9 to 5 job or 8 to 4 job, as it is. It was a business card which read "Interfaith coordinator and promoter". It hadn't happened yet. I was just envisioning what I'd like to do and made up the cards "in the event of". But you see how powerful visions can be. And if I and many others here envision real peace between people (not politicians) in the region sometime soon, do not dare scoff. I have my proof that visions work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leah,

I applaud the work you do. When I lived in Jerusalem I spent some time at Neve Shalom/Wadi al-Salam, with Women in Black and in other interfaith groups. I can imagine some of the barriors you face on a daily basis and I want you to know that your work is noticed and appreciated.

May you go from strength to strength!

1rabbi
http://1rabbi.blogspot.com