Thursday, June 24, 2004

Macro people

Talk about the Enchanted Garden. That's where I was this past Tuesday. I went reluctantly but curiously to the weekly meeting of the Macrolover's Jerusalem group - a society of macrobiotic eating. I used to toy with that diet throughout the years, but like any addict, went right back to my unhealthy eating habits of sugar and the highs of chocolate indulgence. There are times when I have a health scare or just feel under the weather a little more than I'd like and I'd revert back to this diet and I'd feel oh so healthy while I'm on it. This diet is of Japanese origin, they use alot of seaweed which is high in iron and other good shit. And if you like sushi, as I do, you won't mind the seaweed. Then everything has to be whole grain. Whole grain pasta and whole grain rice and whole grain bread. No dairy, absolutely no red meat, an occasional meal of organic chicken is allowed as is some seafood. 70% grains, 20% veggies and 10% legumes - something like that. It's a strange diet and a difficult one. It takes hours to prepare a meal, although its strong adherents to this diet claim they know all the shortcuts. They have something that's called Seitan - a soy substitute for meat. But it sounds like Satan, and looks pretty evil too, until it's cooked. No nightshades are allowed - and that is tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant - which is what I eat most of the time. Beets are borderline. I remember the "strict ones" at a macro dinner once all whispering that the hostess was serving shredded beets. "I'm not going to eat that" - hissed one. Is that not a "healthier than thou" attitude?

The people in this group were so quiet, it was nearly frightening. No shouting, everyone eating quietly - they say you must chew each bite of food at least 50 times, so it takes ages to eat a meal. I actually felt so relaxed eating like this, consciously chewing together with all these calm people. Plus I never knew this place existed in Jerusalem. It was in one of the wealthier parts of town behind high walls. I never knew what was inside. It looked scary. There was a sign that said "Hansen's Hospital" so I thought perhaps it was a mental hospital of some sort. Turns out this woman's parents had been living on these premises since 1965. They had taken over an abandoned house with the permission of the present owners - the government agency of the Jewish National Fund - and were quietly restoring the gardens of this former 120 year old hospital for lepers. When they arrived, there were still lepers living there, but eventually they were all transferred and only this family remained (her father was a surgeon at another hospital). She created an organic garden and the people tending it are kids with Down's Syndrome. Other groups coming to tend gardens are Ultra-Orthodox single mothers with their children. She is correct at being nervous that "they" might one day tear this place down and build high-rises or some other monstrosity. Which is why she is remaining very low key about this place and doesn't advertise it too much.

1 comment:

David said...

Yeah if i had to chew every bite of food 50 times i would get tired of eating real quick. i chew mine about 10 times.Here Check Out This Link Its Pretty Cool.