Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Narcs and Sparks

You wouldn't believe how insane these past 24 hours have been. I was feeling a bit under the weather with a stomach flu of sorts and just settled on the couch to watch the film Kate and Leopold with my Good Daughter. About 1/2 hour into the movie, there's a knock on the door. I go to answer and 3 guys walk in. Never seen them before. They ask for Hubby by his middle name. Weird. Who are you people? "We're the police." Hell they didn't look like the police but they did hold some kind of warrant and my stomach sank further. What the hell was going on now? My Criminal Daughter hasn't been in any trouble since school began and Hubby was in the kitchen in a t-shirt and underwear. "I'm in my underwear", he whispered loudly to them "mind if I change?" By that time, I was sitting back on the couch trying to pretend this wasn't happening whatever "this" was. Was it work related? Was he witness to a crime? An accident? So instead of being polite and waiting until the trousers come on, they fucking follow him into the bedroom. I hear stuff turning over, like my mattress, and I ask Hubby pointblank - Are they looking for pot??? Yes, he said so solemnly. And they're not going to find any here, he told me. So in come these young narcs, one is tall and tough, one is short with a goatee and one looks 16 years old. And my wimp dog is licking their feet and rubbing against them. "We have proof that you bought drugs two months ago in this neighborhood. Give us names!!" they demanded. I'm still sitting on the couch, numb, trying to get into the movie, and half hearing what's going on. "What names? I have no names!" "Who are you friends here? "I have no friends in this neighborhood." - this conversation going back and forth. Meanwhile my eldest daughter walks in with her boyfriend and recognizes one of the narcs. "He's a narc? He smokes pot himself." She whispered to me. At first she had thought they were the Criminal Daughter's friends, until she recognized this one guy. They looked everywhere for evidence. In the electrical box, in the garden (I told them I grow herbs but not "those" herbs). In the end, they looked in his car and found 3 seeds (I'm not kidding) and put those seeds in a baggie. The tall guy looked triumphant! Evidence of pot! I could imagine the look on his supervisor's face as he brings in his haul. Man, what a party everyone could have on 3 seeds! They took Hubby to the police station trying to extract names, but he had none for them. But perhaps it scared him out of ever bringing that shit into the house.

This morning - we had our court case for our Criminal Daughter for stealing $100 from a friend's home with 3 other kids. By this time, I'm sitting in the court with her lawyer who is trying to explain the procedures to me, completely numb, thinking of beaches, and buying shoes, and eating fancy meals and anything but being where I was. I get a call. I'm really not in the mood to talk to anyone at the moment. "Who is THIS!" I practically screamed into the phone. "It's the public library. We have the Harry Potter book you ordered and it will be available for you until Monday." "Thank you!" and this librarian had no idea how relieved I was to hear that kind of news.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this...you need this like a hole in the head! I will be praying that it all comes out for the best for you. Can he be in trouble for 3 seeds? I hope you will be ok.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

this has put the fear in me!!!

Unknown said...

I liked Kate and Leopold even though a few people told me it's a badly made movie. I love romantic fantasies - where the Rich Guy rescues the girl from her ho-hum life. The Big Fix. I need one - NOW. I'm off to watch some Richard Gere movies. Any of his movies. Which ones are his best?