Thursday, January 26, 2006

Getting older and older and older

I'm preparing for my big bash on Wednesday night. The one where I'm turning half- a century. But the age business is catching up to me, though.

Yesterday I had a bit of a stomach flu. This is all part of the ups and downs spiral plaguing my life at the moment. I had the ups with all the sugar and cakes given to me on Friday. Now are the down moments. My head was hurting because I usually get headaches with stomach flus, and I was starting to think like a hypochondriac. What if I pass out. What if it's more than a headache. What will the strangers on the bus do. What will my children do. Who will tell my friends? Who is that guy on the bus? Is he going to blow us up? What is in his bag? What is in her bag. I needed to chill. But instead of chilling I went food shopping and asked my daughter to accompany me for emotional support, although I didn't tell her it was for support. Bad move. She put in the cart all the stuff she likes - Famous Amos cookies (mmmm just like we had in Canada!), and ""Mom I NEED hand cream" and "What about deodorant for me" and freezer foods which I normally wouldn't buy. I didn't want to say "No, can't afford them." So I let her take full advantage of my fragile state.

Back home, I went to the freezer and took out some carrot cake. Yum. Never mind wanting to lose 4 more kilos. I sat down to watch a documentary about the History of Mowtown, felt much younger while I danced to Rescue Me in front of the telly. Stomach flu and headache - totally gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!