Saturday, January 21, 2006

Viva Les Canadiennes

The Canadian film crew from Quebec came over bright and early this morning. Around 9:00. I had hoped to wash my hair but it was chilly out and decided just to spruce it up which I did with some sticky concoction that is supposed to fluff out the curls. A quick fix. We picked them up at the check point, and they had no problem coming in. I introduced them to my half-sleeping children who sauntered downstairs at around 9:30 am - quite early for them. They usually stay in bed until 11:00. They managed to nod at our guests, who just wanted some coffee before we headed out.

Hubby, who had this end-of-the-world look on his face was unusually quiet and somber. But he was the perfect chauffer and took us all around the place; at the end stopping off at the film location - my meditation spot where the desert mountain view goes on for miles and miles. It is breathtaking.

They conducted the interview trying to fix the tiny microphone inside my shirt. The camera man looked just like Richard Gere did in the early 1980s, and I tried not to stare at him constantly. Makes me want to visit Quebec again - fast. But, unfortunately, he was not the person fixing the microphone inside my shirt. I was worried about regular stuff - I asked them:

"What if my nose runs during the filming?"

I mean what happens. Do they yell "CUT", while I grab a tissue? Miraculously that didn't happen to me even though I felt a bit snivelly.

They asked me questions - the usual questions people have always asked me so it was easy to answer.

"How did you start to become a peace activist"
"Tell us about reactions from relatives and friends"
"Do you find that living outside the green line obstructs your peace work"
"Do you know that living outside the green line is illegal according to section 49 of the Geneva document?"
"What do you think about the Right of Return for Palestinians"
"What do you think about Jews becoming a minority in this country"

I just told them everything that had always been on my mind - not to fear the other, that I wasn't afraid of the Palestinian Right of Return because like Jews who have been forced out of our countries everywhere in the world, we don't return to those countries because many of the villages we came from don't exist anymore - same for the Palestinians. What would they return to?

Later I thought it would have been nice to mention God - even once - like "if Jews are sure that God gave them this land, they won't need to worry so much about eventually becoming a minority. Leave it to God. God will handle all of this difficult stuff." And this could very well happen with the high Israeli Arab birth rate.

At the end they were happy with the interview and hopefully it will get fully produced and distributed somewhere in this universe.

No comments: