Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Disengagement chatter

Abdullah came to visit me the day I was off from work on the Jewish fast day of the 9th of Av this past Sunday. I didn't even know he was here because every two hours or so I went to lie down. I hate fasting, and don't even know what I do it. I should really be going out to picnic with the rest of the secular Israelis, but no, I suffer without food and drink for 25 hours.

Hubby and the Complainer entertained Abdullah for about an hour, until I sauntered out of my room, not particularly dressed for guests in my sleeveless t-shirt without a bra. I was way too physically uncomfortable to put on all my underthings...

But Abdullah and I managed an interesting conversation. I told him how I hope that the ouster of the Jews from Gaza will perhaps make them more sympathetic when they hear of Palestinian home demolitions, as they went through the same thing and are now homeless. His eyebrows tilted as if he were surprised that I thought this way. I was equally surprised when he voiced compassion for the Jews in Gaza.

"I feel terrible that they have to leave. The politicians are the cause of our wars. If I were in their place, I would leave this country and never ever come back after what they did to me."

He seemed genuinely upset, and I was pleased that a Palestinian would get upset over this situation. I wasn't expecting any sympathy from any of my cousins and it took me by surprise.

We both envisioned a hate-free Gaza, where Jews and Arabs would work together to build up tourism over the beautiful natural landscapes there, a sort of paradise. Agriculture would flourish and they would work together. But it's not reality now and this is only a dream of ours.

But it was nice of us to be able to dream of the same things together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting post. i am happy to read of it. by the way, i love reading your blog!
salaam.

Unknown said...

I really appreciate the way you are approaching this event, and your thoughtful reflections on it. I haven't really been brave enough to broach this topic on my blog! Maybe when I move out of Nachlaot to a more "liberal" area, I'll feel okay being more vocal.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I'll definitely be back.