Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Lunching with Bibi

My boss took his secretary and me out to lunch at the King David hotel, the poshest hotel in Jerusalem. I've worked with the gentleman 3 1/2 years, and have never been taken out for lunch, not even for falafel. So this was going to be a real treat. The receptionist hissed advice to me as we were leaving.

"Order the most expensive thing on the menu!!!"

Sure. Why not?

We sat down in this elegant place - it reaked of old money. Here many celebrities and politicians passed through over the years.

I didn't know what to order, which was a good thing, because the Boss asked me to take the filet mignon, the most expensive thing on the menu. Who was I to argue with him. His secretary modestly ordered entrecote steak from the much less expensive business lunch. Oh, but not I. I love to wine and dine in the best of places, just don't have the moolah to do it as often as I'd like.

My boss, looks up and whispers to us - "That's Bibi Netanyahu who just walked in." They had already passed our table and all I saw were the strapping security guys because my view was blocked by a wooden pillar. We ended up laughing and talking about Bibi quietly, with the Boss giving me reports on what they ordered.

"Bibi's having the same thing you ordered"

"Of course he is, because I, the taxpayer, am probably paying for it."

"Nah, he's got a rich guy sitting next to him, whose probably paying."

"Oh whew!"

We didn't stick around to see what Bibi and his entourage were having for dessert.

As we walked out, my boss commented - "Someone ought to tell Bibi to lose a few pounds."

No comments: