Monday, July 25, 2005

I'll tell you why I hate Sundays

Tracking backwards, it was my first day back from vacation. I am trying to be on a diet, with everyone offering me cookies all day long. That is so fucking difficult. But I did it. I refused them all. Someone who actually felt sorry for me depriving myself of food, found some dietetic ice cream like a creamsicle and handed one to me, which I devoured rather quickly.

I felt nauseaous and went to visit someone recovering from a hip replacement operation. I should have gone on another day when I wasn't feeling so queasy. This woman gleefully described every detail of her operation - to my horror.

"They didn't put me to sleep. And then I heard them sawing but I took my music along and listened to that instead."

That didn't help me. All I could hear at that moment and see in my mind were the doctors sawing off her hip bone. It was awful. She continued on..

"Then they had to hammer it in. I felt them pounding the hammer into me. The upper part of my body wasn't put to sleep and I felt myself being pounded into the bed."

WOW! I mean what else could I say, except 'glad to see you're in one piece'.

2 comments:

Mahala said...

I found your blog through "Serendipity" and I love it :) Other cultures facinate me, not just the differences but also how much they're alike.

Unknown said...

i guess the hammering and sawing while you are awake during an operation goes on in the US too! :-)