Sunday, July 03, 2005

Never be told the future

I've always been wary of palm readers, fortune tellers, etc. I've learned how to do Tarot cards when I was single and they were pretty nifty when I wanted to check out a future date. I'd ask the cards "Will it be a one-nighter? True love?" And the cards would spell it out for me, and I wouldn't get disappointed because I knew what fate awaited me beforehand. It was all in the cards.

I remember when the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup. I was in Toronto at the time and thought Hubby had spiked my tea with bad drugs. Wasn't there a curse on the NY Rangers, never to win the Stanley Cup - ever? It just couldn't be. When we lived in NYC, my brother, an Orthodox Jew, would carry his ticket and walk from the north Bronx to Madison Square Garden (it took 3 - 4 hours) in the 60s and 70s during the Passover holidays (when Orthodox Jews do not travel on buses, cars and trains) in the hopes of seeing his favorite team win the coveted Stanley Cup. By the time I was a fan, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the team was scandalized by heavy cocaine usage among its top players and there was little hope of winning the Cup.

So when they did finally win the Cup, I immediately called my brother who was living in Jerusalem to tell him the Great News! He was mortified.

"I set my video on a timer and was about to tape it (the game was shown there - but with a delay of about 6 hours). What the FUCK DID YOU DOO?????????" I ruined it for my brother. The adrenalin rush of will they or won't they win will be no more. And they may never win the Cup again. This game-of-a-lifetime ruined, smashed, kaput - all because of his little well-intentioned sis.

This evening I perused some blogs with one that gave me a preview of America's Next Top Model's winner. The show is onto its 5th season in the US but cable tv in Israel is just up to its third season. Our Friday night entertainment consists of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - where I fantasize about those guys doing a Queer Eye for the Straight Ladye - namely me. Dress me up Carson, and wallpaper my home from beautiful furniture stores I can't afford like Harmony. After that show my teen girls and I cuddle up on the couch and wonder who will be America's Next Top Model where we join the judges in insulting all the contestants. But I just looked at this blog where it talked about the winners in previous seasons, including season #3, which we are watching now! How dreadful. I now know who will be America's Next Top Model in Season Three. I'm not telling the rest of you, in case you're addicted too. Being the good mum that I am, I won't tell my girls either, but the show won't be exciting for me any longer. Should I be wicked and place bets with them? I just might, just to get even for all the torture they heap on their mother. The winner gets taken out for a lavish Friday morning breakfast!

No comments: