Saturday, July 23, 2005

I've got the Orange and Blues

Hubby finally put up both blue and orange ribbons inside his car. "Normal" people who have taken a firm stand, either put up blue if they are pro-disengagement, or orange if they are anti-disengagement. Most of the ribbons I see in Jerusalem are orange, except for some left-wing neighborhoods where blue flies freely.

You can tell who the political misfits are - who the real peaceniks are - who the real sympathizers for both sides are. They are the ones who are flying both colors on their car antennas. I also saw it at the Sulha on the Orthodox Rabbi Froman's wife's head. She was wearing an orange headscarf and placed a blue band in front of it. I thought that was a nifty idea and Hubby promptly put both colours inside his car.

But then he decided to take the orange and blue ribbons off the car and put it on the gate entrance to our house.

"Let's see what happens. I bet you it'll piss off all the neighbors, especially that one," he said , pointing to our Neighbors from Hell.

And like hunters waiting with bait, we watched to see if there were any reactions. We went inside for about 1/2 an hour to prepare for dinner. Hubby went outside for a smoke.

"Someone already tore off the blue ribbon, and just left the orange one hanging." Looks like there's not too much tolerance in this 'hood.

Not to worry. I have another few blue ribbons left to reattach.

1 comment:

Liza said...

And sadly, how can the "blues" be expected to show sympathy for the "oranges" and their plight if the oranges can't even respect a blue's right to have a ribbon that isn't orange? I can certainly understand how difficult it will be for these people to leave their homes, but that doesn't justify them trying to impose their beliefs on me or wreaking havoc on my life, and it certainly won't win any sympathy from me, that's for sure!