Friday, July 29, 2005

Jerusalem Street Fairs


I am a street fair junkie. There are so many of them going on in this city this month, I wonder if it's a plot to make us not think of what is going to happen in a few weeks in Gaza. If we get drunk on the excitement of the crowds, the free entertainment, the festival atmosphere, one is liable to forget that this country is also full of tension.

Being that my personal life is just so stressful, I decided to let the government do its number on me and allure me with its beautiful street fairs. It's a family affair and I invited my 2 stay-at-home-for-the-summer kids to join me, which they did. Instead of the funky food stands they opted for Burger King. This time we watched performances of acrobats and jugglers in what was billed as the air circus. There was some sports fair going on at city hall, and on Thursday, an arts and crafts fair on the Agrippas Street pedestrian mall near the shuk. You can overdose on these things, you know, so I only opted for one day and one day only.

Besides the street fairs, there was something I did want to go to on Thursday night - just to bliss out on the desert view and air. A duo was doing Simon & Garfunkel covers in an open air desert setting and I wanted to go. Unfortunately, 9:00 pm is way past Hubby's bedtime, and I don't do night desert driving - so it looks like I am going to have to look for other "fun" companions that can drive. But there's no shortage of e-mail listings to look for those too.

No comments: