Friday, August 20, 2004

Feng Shui

I took the plunge and invited a certified Feng Shui consultant to my home after wanting to do this for years. She was the most reasonably priced as others I called were nearly $1,000 and she was less than $100 for 2 hours. As soon as she walked in we shook hands and then she looked glum. "You want to know what I think?" she asked. Of course, I'm paying you for your thoughts. "This place makes me very unhappy." and then proceeded to walk around the house pointing out things and colors making her unhappy. I'm paying money for someone to criticize the way I live. Am I insane? I have Hubby and all the kids do it for free! "What's this?" she pointed to my undies hanging on the railing. I put it there so the dog won't chew them, I told her. The piles of laundry in everyone's room is bad energy. Plus the clean laundry basket in my room was an absolute disaster I figured from looking at her face. So I took it out immediately and took the communal sock bin and tossed it into my closet. It always was a sore spot with Hubby who, when in a foul mood, would yell - I can't stand this fucking laundry in my room!!! What more could we do for our bedroom? "Do you really like these sheets? These colours? What is this? This purple color is dead." I wrote down her ideas to energize the bedroom and bring prosperity and abundance into my home but nixed her idea of taking down my Indian lamp cover. "Then you have to put it on right with none of the wires showing." A compromise was reached. On to the livingroom. The back of the couch faced the entrance. "It's unwelcoming" she said. Immediately we shifted to couches to how she saw to improve and immediately felt better. It'll take us a few months to get all her ideas into place and then I'd like to have her in for other sections of the house. The kids were nonplussed and after she left made their own observations. "Look at the way she dresses. Like a nerd." said the Complainer. "Look" I pointed a finger at her "she's not here for fashion designing, sweet pea, so chill." "And you're not getting red couches like she wants" she continued. "You're getting BLUE! That's what we want." As the saying goes - You can't always get what you want....

2 comments:

lisoosh said...

My husbands socks and daughters underwear lying on the floor. Empty cartons on the kitchen counter. The box for a DVD lying open in the middle of the living room. Remote controls everywhere. Bills strewn all over my desk.
Oh well, I'm screwed.

Unknown said...

following my heart is good. I really don't like the color green so much even though Ms. Feng Shui insisted I put green candles on the table. I prefer off-white or purple. And to my kindred spirit with the cartons in the kitchen - you may be screwed but you're at least $100 richer than I am at this point! LOL