Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Shopping with daughters

I knew it would be a hectic early evening. Fortunately getting out of work on time is not a problem since they've loaned me a laptop and I'm able to edit at my leisure at home. So by 4 PM I'm out. Instead of doing the nice wifey things like going straight home to do laundry and make dinner, I was out having iced tea with my Gypsy friend who needed me to print out her e-ticket for a flight to the US. She had never seen an e-ticket before and was highly agitated. Is it real? she asked? I told her a friend had sent me one 3 years ago and I used it. "But you're Jewish, so you'd have no problems with it." Well, hopefully her being a Palestinian Muslim Gypsy will cause her no problem with her e-ticket. (But of course she will have problems before check in because of who she is - so she has to get to the airport quite a while in advance) You've come a long way baby. She began her life by begging on the streets, as many Jerusalem Gypsies do. And this year she's studying at Bethlehem University for a degree. So we're going to have to deal with this new experience of e-tix!

At 6:00 pm I was to meet my eldest daughter to buy a gift for her boyfriend's birthday. The gift is from Hubby and myself but I needed her along. Or did I? I hadn't done shopping with her in 5 years and then I realized why. We're awful together. We went into every store, tried on shoes, pants, blouses, bras, smelled every scented candle and imagined every beautiful decorative item in the fancy housewares store in our home. "We need this" "We need that" This went on for 3 1/2 hours and I was pooped. In the end just before stores closed at the mall, we managed to grab something for her boyfriend. I hope he likes it and I hope it's his size!

No comments: