Saturday, August 07, 2004

Israeli Fashion

I've been straining my neck from looking at Daughter's jpgs - which are all sideways. On my temp laptop I can't adjust them in any way - so you'll have to suffer when you look at the test shot. I have no idea why they're sideways. Notice the drag queen eye makeup. Blue. Only a gay photographer would want blue eyeshadow. No one wears blue anymore unless you're in a drag queen show. Oh well. It's done and the rest is up to God. Now - we can always tell who the American tourists are by the way they dress. Crisp white t-shirts, caps on the men (Israeli men never wear baseball caps) - shorts on women (urban Israeli women do not wear shorts), sport socks on women and running shoes (a definite no-no for Israeli women -unless you're jogging, no one wears sneakers/running shoes). So when we arrived here nearly 9 years ago with our American/Canadian clothing, we were "spotted" a mile away. My kids didn't fit in with their US wardrobe. That had to be changed immediately. Well it took a year before they tossed out their wardrobe. Among teens and those in their early twenties, there are two types of dress. Either you belong to the "freakim" - and wear hippies clothing, anything that looks like it came from India, long flowing skirts, jeans with beads, long hair, little makeup; or you belong to the "arsim" crowd - for the boys, spiked hair, streaked blond, greased; for the girls - track suits or tight jeans with skimpy tops, very high heels or platforms, clunky looking shoes, hair blow-dried straight or curly and greased to a glossy sheen. I see most "freakim" having ashkenazic heritage - those of European background while most "arsim" come from sephardic background - those from Arab/Mediterranean countries. My daughters, although they come from a European background chose the "arsim" crowd. Why? They think it's cool. I fit in with the hippie crowd but I do my own thing, like wear crystal jewellery and enough makeup. Elegant hippie. I sometimes point out a cute guy in dreadlocks to them - "Uggh, he's a "freak", you know I don't like "freakim", they say rolling their "r's" like Israeli's speak. They're ashamed of eating gefilte fish on the Sabbath, a traditional ashkenazic food. No sephardic kid would eat it. I am sure they secretly like it, but they ask me to prepare kubeh soup, an Iraqi treat. Sure. I'm going to spend hours in the kitchen for that freakin' soup? If they're good, I buy it ready made. Usually on the Sabbath when I'm celebrating their birthdays. Or it's "why can't you cook like other mothers?" Instead, I'm making stuff from the Epicureous website. Why won't they eat chicken cutlets with wasabi dressing? (they do like other highly spicy condiments like Israeli "schug") Or salads with cranberries and peaches? Why can't you people be adventurous? In your eating. In your dress. Why must everyone dress and eat in the exact same mold?

4 comments:

timx said...

Your daughter looks lovely, even sideways on! An by the way, speaking as an irreligious gentile - I LOVE gefilte fish!

lisoosh said...

Daughter looks great.
My sister in law (Moroccan who lives in Tel Aviv and thinks she is very fashionable) showed up here for a visit with these boots with the longest toes I have ever seen. Must have stuck out for half a foot. Absolutely ridiculous.
There is something addictive and compelling about sephardic families (Moroccan, Pharsi, Kurdi etc) with their close knit structures and exotic food. However, you will have the last laugh. Why? Because for now they see what it is to be a child in one of those families, spoiled endlessly by the mother, however when they marry, they will be expected to do the exact same - cook endlessly, scrub everything, do laundry for adult children and endure intrusions into your personal life from third cousins. I know because I married in. I also believe that is why my 35 year old SIL is still single and wants to marry a kibbutznik.
Sorry for sounding mean spirited but my in laws drive my cold, western, impersonal behind nuts.

elf said...

There seems to be a lot more pressure on young Israelis to "conform" than I ever experienced in the States. Also this very strong sense that everything important about one can and should be conveyed via wardrobe. Why do you think this is?

Unknown said...

Oh, I guess it's safety in conformity. In an unsettling environment, people take comfort in that. And I'm such an anarchist in comparison. Just fit in with a couple of misfits around town.