Thursday, August 05, 2004

random stuff

Another day where nothing happened - just some observations from the past week. I walked into the bank this week and asked them to lower my overdraft allowance. In Israel overdraft is de riguer banking thing. Everyone does it. Only nerds and rich people don't. When we first moved here we KNEW everyone was in overdraft. They didn't give us any overdraft limit so away we went - wheeee! It was fun to spend like there's no tomorrow. Until one day they called us in. "We'd like you to put in $5,000 or we're cutting your credit." What the fuck? "Can't you call your parents to help you out?" Oh, I get it. Our rich American parents. Well, mr. bank manager, not all Americans are rich. (Here, everyone that speaks English is an American - even if you're from South Africa and have never stepped foot in the good ol' US of A). Back to the present - my bank actually does put a limit on overdrafts. You can only go up to three times your monthly salary in overdraft. Tsk. Tsk. However shall we shop? I wanted to lower my overdraft from 3 times the amount to only be able to withdraw up to equal the amount of only one month's salary. The bank dude went into a back room and I hear him talking to someone about me - "She wants to lower her overdraft to one month's salary" Other man laughing "Really? Doesn't she know her checks will bounce if she goes over that amount?" More laughter. Yes, your three-headed customer from another planet is waiting patiently to sign the forms that will LOWER her overdraft. You greedy bastards make enough money on all of us, but you will be making less money on me. So that's why you're acting funny and all that. Isn't it?

1 comment:

timx said...

I was talking to my brother last year, and discovered that his total credit card credit limit was £20,000!