Thursday, August 12, 2004

Ups and Downs

I've been totally out of synch. At work I don't remember a thing I've done or said an hour ago. Home life is a disaster. If I could live on a planet with just women, I'd do so in a flash. If only they wouldn't be so catty at times because that drives me up a wall as well. So it would have to be a planet with non-catty women. Claws in please. Hubby's morning wake up call was so miserable I ran out without showering and it was humid as hell out there. Jerusalem is hardly ever humid, so this was freakish weather. I got downtown in 20 minutes and had a coffee and bagel to calm my nerves. (Does coffee calm the nerves?) The sweet boy behind the counter told me my coffee was ready. I looked and there was the froth in the shape of a heart with an arrow through it. That's is so sweet, I told him. Nobody ever made me a coffee with a heart on it, wishing I was 25 years younger at that very moment. I avoided Hubby's numerous phone calls at work because it gets chaotic. I have enough chaos without those phone calls complaining of this and of that. Today I got a call from my Criminal Daughter's teacher. They're having a mother's day at the Hyatt Spa on Sunday. Could I go. I first told her no because I felt guilty taking yet another day off work after my set vacation. My friend at work said - ask the boss. I did, he okayed it and called her back with my "yes" answer. This includes lunch, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, massage! Just what the doctor ordered. I had thought of going for a day at the spa while I was on vacation but the costs were prohibitive and now I'm getting a freebie through the very-well-budgeted school for would-be criminals. For this I am forever grateful. I meticulously got material ready for my boss, putting in extra heart and soul into it. One hand washes the other. I work doubly hard if they can be flexible with me. My son sweetly called me at 6 pm. I was having coffee out - certainly not rushing to get home to more dysfunction. I was enjoying the company of my bonafide Gypsy friend, Amoun, whom I hadn't seen in weeks. My Gypsy sister. We always have what to chat about - which is nearly everything in the world That also perked me up. Plus I got an e-mail that my friend Ibrahim was back home after spending a harrowing night in a Portuguese jail because of Visa mishaps. I didn't get the full story from him, but I was so happy he was back in Jerusalem safe and sound. I am grateful for the support I get at work from friends. I am grateful for my friends outside of work whom I love. I am grateful for miracles I experience when I'm down in the dumps. And I'm grateful that I have a dog who pulls me up the hill when I'm walking him so walking uphill is less strenuous. And with those thoughts, it's easier for me to go home and deal with whatever it is I have to deal with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh....sorry it was a difficult day! I don't know if it would be of any help or not, but my older Jewish friend who is in her 70's said a few years ago that they had gone through a couple books with another couple that really helped their marriage to survive. They are written by Willard F. Harley, Jr. and are: Love Busters (Overcoming Habits That Destroy Romantic Love---selfish demands, annoying habits, angry outbursts, direspectful judgments, independant behavior, dishonesty) and His Needs, Her Needs (Building an Affair-Proof Marriage).

For my hubby and I, it was God's help that helped us survive...and barely survive we have. We began to intensely read the Scriptures and being we do not know Hebrew yet (gonna order a teaching CD for that soon), we have a computer program that helps go to the real meanings behind the English words there. And as we began to understand God's plan for marriage and try to follow that...plus we began to try to keep the Sabbath (which we do not have down perfectly YET!)....He blessed us and healed the relationship. (Being treated much better sure sits well with me!!) I HIGHLY recommend it, from where we have been in our journey!

Blessings and may things get better and more hopeful soon!...BTW, your boss sounds VERY nice to help you get off that way!!
Elizabeth