Monday, August 23, 2004

the locals

Yesterday I saw an elderly man near my car feeding an orange cat. The car was parked near open garbage bins and the man thought nothing of digging his hand into the piles of garbage to retrieve some food for the cat. It was absolutely disgusting and at the same time so beautiful to see how much he loved the animal. This morning I went to the local grocer where I pick up my milk and bread each morning. This fly kept on landing on my arm, no matter how many times I shooed it away. The cashier told me "Oh he's such a nudnik. He's been here all morning." Calling a fly a nudnik? That was pretty funny.

I ended my day with our coordinator's meeting of our Interfaith group. For people who think these meetings just "happen" - think again. we were there from 4:30 - 7:30 going over what will be next month's meeting. Will we go on an outing? A museum? Which museum. What are the costs? What are the hours? On which day? Who will volunteer to be a tour guide? Will we insult people by picking one over the other? In the end an outing seemed too tedious and we decided instead to meet on the eve of September 21st to mark International Peace Day and we set out a format for the meeting. What food, what opening greeting, what theme, who will present what, what should participants bring. I'm exhausted. But once we were set on that date, the rest just flowed.

2 comments:

timx said...

Yes - but when do you sleep?

Unknown said...

Sleep? Oh c'mon what's that? LOL! Usually between 12:00 and 6:00 am - And longer on the weekends.