Sunday, August 15, 2004

Saturday Guest

There seems to be no respite from the heat and sun. The only escape I had today was in my air-conditioned home. It was a lazy day today and I had a choice of reading, doing nothing, going to a movie at my favorite theatre, sleeping, laundry, etc. But I couldn't even figure that out. Until Ibrahim called. "I"m coming over now to pick up the business cards I gave you in Barcelona. What should I bring you?" - "Nothing - just yourself" I told him. OK, I showered and cleaned the bathroom. While most Arab women stay home and don't work and clean their homes spotless all day - including Ibrahim's wife, I felt if he walked into my bathroom and saw the chaos that reigned there, he'd have extra cause to be smug over his wife not going out to work. Look at those women who do and look at their bathrooms. Feh. He came over 1/2 hour later and I expected him to eat lunch by us. He showed us his 20 documents he had to take with him every time he goes overseas and told us his jail story. He had a visa for Europe and when he left Europe to go to the States, his visa was cancelled (even though it was for 6 months!). So in Portugal, upon not having a valid visa, they locked him up for a night with all these young men. He gave the prisoners gifts from his travels. I bet he could do work in rehabilitation. Ibrahim didn't take my "no" for an answer and brought delicious laffas (bigger and softer pita-like breads), still hot from the oven, a couple of kilos fresh figs and some sweet Arab pastry with sesame, coconut and peanuts coated with honey. I tore open the package, much to his amusement, like a kid getting a Christmas gift. After I felt embarrassed. Why couldn't I be like all the other people, when they get gifts, even food, they unwrap it after their guests leave. I'm overenthusaistic. He had to rush home though to his visiting grandchildren and nixed the lunch offer. But at least I've got a clean bathroom - which probably would have never gotten cleaned up had he not called.

No comments: